- Mattermost Multi-Factor Authentication for Admins
- Mattermost Multi-Factor Authentication for Users
Installing the Trusona App
Before you get started with the instructions below you'll need to install and register with the Trusona App.
- Download the Trusona App on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Follow the registration steps in the App.
- Verify your email by clicking the link from Trusona.
- You're setup and ready to go!
Mattermost Multi-Factor Authentication for Admins
1. Log in to Mattermost
Log in to your Mattermost Admin Account
2. Systems Control
Admins will need to access the Systems Control in order to enable the security feature. Go to Authentication, followed by MFA and then Enable Multi-factor Authentication
Please reference this link as it goes into more detail for multi-factor authentication and how to enable it.
The prompt will say to use the Google authenticator app, but the Trusona app will work just as well.
3. Enforcing Multi-factor Authentication
If you want to enforce this security feature, navigate to Authentication, then MFA and finally Enforce Multi-factor Authentication
Please reference this link as it goes into more detail for multi-factor authentication and how to enforce it.
It is advised to set up these security features during a low peak time. Multi-factor Authentication will force users to complete the process before they can access the website, including those already signed in and using it.
Mattermost Multi-Factor Authentication for Users
4. Log in to Mattermost
Log in to your Mattermost User Account
Locate the hamburger icon that is above the channels pane. Then click on Account Settings
6. Access Security Settings
From the Account Settings page, locate the Security section
7. Multi-Factor Authentication Settings
Under the Security section, there will be the Multi-Factor Authentication subsection. Click on the Add MFA to your account button
8. Scan the QR Code
A QR code will be shown on the screen.
- Open the Trusona app, and tap on the Settings menu
- Tap 2-step verification (TOTP)
- Scan the QR code
- Type in the number you see from the Trusona app
Enter the code from the app into the screen, then click Save. It should now show that two-factor authentication is enabled.
Setup complete! The next time you log in to Mattermost and are prompted for a One-time passcode, you can use the Trusona app to log in.